In times of globalization one thing is clear: there is a substantial overlap between VAT and customs law – and an equal need for clarification. Where goods are moved from the European Union to non-EU-countries or vice versa, the particular transaction's customs aspects need to be considered. We can help.
When it comes to customs law, we focus specifically on importation VAT. In this regard, our advice is doubly profitable. You will be able to reduce your liability for importation VAT and also aim to achieve a full input VAT refund on any importation VAT which is ultimately payable. Last but not least, time is also a vital factor. In order to optimize cash flow, it is important to defer the payment of importation VAT as long as possible but to claim its refund at the earliest possible opportunity – but we do not really need to tell you that!
This is all about customs law. Customs law is a very formal field of law and competent advice is extremely important as even the smallest and seemingly insignificant infringement can result in fines and penalties, or have criminal law consequences.
- We can advise you regarding the optimal organization of your customs issues by identifying options for the (re)structuring/design and simplification of your processes.
- We can assist you with preparing internal guidelines.
- We can provide expert opinions on all customs related matters (e.g. optimization of customs procedures, appropriate customs value, preferential tariffs).
- We can provide advice and assistance on external customs audits.
- We can represent you in any and all appeal proceedings and assist you in your applications for refunds, waivers, repayments and remissions.
As lawyers, we are of course also available to represent you in proceedings before the financial courts, the German Federal Fiscal Court, right up to the level of the Court of Justice of the European Union.